Tuesday, April 10, 2012



Worship for Children



I recently read this article from the Cory Centre ( http://corycenter.org/childrens-ministry-ideas-find-great-worship-for-children/) 
I found it helpful. 
"Honest confession: I do not really like kids worship music.  I find most of it bland, cheesy, and generally annoying to listen to.  My experience has been that most children’s worship music does not appeal to children or parents either.  Many times over the past decade in ministry I have parents ask me, “Do you have any worship music that my kids will actually like and it won’t drive me crazy in the car?”
“Well, no.”
My encouragement to those of you who serve in children’s and family ministry is to attenuate your ears to good worship music.   Listen to everything.  Find out what children enjoy.  Ask to look at iPod playlists.  Subscribe to a music program like Spotify to discover new music.  Listen, listen, listen.
Here’s what to listen for:
Action. Does the music move you?  Is the rhythm and sound so catchy that it will get a 4thgrade boy up out of his chair?  I do not think every worship song requires actions, but songs that promote it are helpful.
Instruments.   Children have defined musical tastes.  They like to hear a band.  Most children’s music does not sound anything like the kind of music from TV Shows children enjoy.
Singability. I know, “singability” is not a word, but it is an important worship concept.  When we choose worship songs, we need to choose songs that are easy to sing.  If they are not easy to sing, kids will tune out and not sing them.  What is the song’s pace?  How fast are the words sung?  Can kids keep up?
Content.  In my ministry context, one of our worship distinctives is choosing songs about God.  That may sound odd, but it’s true.  Many worship songs are about us and what we are going to do (I’m going to praise, dance, sing, etc…).  Those songs have a place in worship, but we need to introduce kids to songs about God, who He is and what He has done.
In Wantirna we are now going to use some songs from Awesome God by Sovereign Grace. 
Let me know if you have discovered any good music for children to share. 


No comments:

Post a Comment